Regulation on “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship for foreign students – winners/prize-winners of the Open Olympiad of RUDN for foreign citizens
April 12, 2017
- General provisions
1.1. This Regulation sets the basic principles of scholarship support for foreign students (listeners) with a view to attracting talented foreign citizens to study at the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN), including students from the leading foreign educational organizations of higher education.
1.2. This Regulation was developed in accordance with the Federal Law from December 29, 2012 №273-FL “On Education in the Russian Federation”, the Government Decree from March 16, 2013 №211 “On Measures of State Support for Leading Universities of the Russian Federation with a view to increasing their competitiveness among the world’s leading research and education centers”, RUDN regulations, the rector’s order from March 31, 2016 №202 “On approval of the Regulation on the Open Olympiad of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia for foreign citizens” and with other local regulatory acts of RUDN.
1.3. The goal of the scholarship program implementation is to encourage winners/prize-winners of the Olympiad and to attract talented young people from among foreign citizens to study at RUDN in the framework of M.3.3.1 project P1 “Attraction of talented foreign high school graduates and students by holding and participating in international Olympiads, competitions of scientific and creative works, educational exhibitions, by creating profile classes of RUDN and pre-university training centers”, as well as in the framework of the program developed to enhance the competitiveness of RUDN “5-100”.
1.4. This Regulation establishes the procedure for allocation and payment of scholarships “RUDN brilliant students” (hereinafter referred to as scholarship) for foreign students (listeners) – winners and prize-winners of the Open Olympiad of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia for foreign citizens (hereinafter referred to as the Olympiad), for those who showed good and excellent academic performance during the period of receiving previous level of education in national educational organizations and expressed high motivation to study at RUDN.
1.5. “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship for foreign students (listeners) implies monthly monetary payment assigned to foreign students, winners and prize-winners of the Open Olympiad of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia, who in accordance with the established RUDN procedure entered trainings under the higher education programs and who entered the Faculty of the Russian Language and General Educational Disciplines in accordance with the Section 3 of this Regulation.
1.6. “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship for foreign students (listeners) is established for the following categories of foreign students (listeners):
– students of the priority directions studying master programs regardless of the language of the training;
– students of the priority directions studying bachelor/specialist programs, including programs of the Faculty of Physics and Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Engineering Academy.
1.7. Foreign citizens who are winners and prize-winners of the Open Olympiad of the Peoples’ Friendship of Russia for foreign citizens can participate in the scholarship program.
1.8. Approval of “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship for foreign students (listeners) is annually issued with the order of the rector of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia on the basis of the decision of RUDN academic council to provide the Organizing Committee formed at the University for the purpose of carrying out activities in accordance with this Regulation. The order establishes the amount of scholarships for foreign students (listeners) for each of the categories of students mentioned above in paragraph 1.6., as well as the size of payments (Appendix 2 – sample of the model order).
1.9. Candidates for “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship for foreign students (listeners) are determined by the Organizing Committee. The membership of the Organizing Committee is approved annually by the order of the rector of the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (Appendix 1 – sample of the model order).
1.10. “RUDN brilliant students” scholarships are financed by the state support subsidies for the leading Universities of the Russian Federation in the framework of the Program to enhance RUDN competitiveness among the world’s leading research and educational centers and/or by RUDN funds from income-generating activities.
1.11. “RUDN brilliant students” scholarships for foreign students (listeners) are paid monthly in the terms established for the payment of academic scholarships.
1.12. Information about the announced competition for “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship is posted on the website of the University and on the website of the Open Olympiad of RUDN for foreign citizens in a month’s time after summing up the results of the Olympiad.
- Requirements for candidates and conditions for participation
Candidates for “RUDN brilliant students” scholarships for foreign students (listeners) are imposed certain requirements:
– the applicant should be a winner/prize-winner of the Open Olympiad of RUDN for foreign citizens;
– the average score of the applicant in accordance with the documents of the previous level of education should not be less than 4.0 and there should be only “good” and “excellent” marks on specialization/profile disciplines, taking into account the current system of evaluating the education system of the country where educational organization issued the relevant educational document from;
– the applicant should not have the Russian citizenship;
– the applicant was not involved in administrative and other types of responsibilities in the territory of the Russian Federation.
Hiding information/providing incorrect information entails disqualification of participation in the selection for “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship.
- Stages of the competition for foreign students (listeners) to receive “RUDN brilliant students” scholarships.
3.1. The first stage – is the acceptance of applications for participation in the competition. To participate in the contest within a month time after the publication of information on RUDN and the Olympiad websites about selection for “RUDN brilliant students” scholarships, applicants must submit in electronic form the relevant package of documents to the Department of Recruiting and Support for Foreign Students (hereinafter referred to as the Department) for consideration:
– application (application form in English) with an attached color photo;
– diploma of the winner/certificate of the prize-winner of the Open Olympiad of RUDN for foreign citizens;
– copies and certified translation into Russian of education documents indicating the studied subjects and the scores (points) received on them; school students should submit a certificate with a certified translation in accordance with the established education procedure in the final class with the grades for the last six months/one year;
– motivation letter in Russian or English about the reasons that influenced the choice of the educational organization and direction;
– copies of the documents (diplomas, certificates and others stating students being winners of international and national competitions and Olympiads (hosted in the city and outside)), information about scientific publications (if available) in the Russian or English language;
– letters of recommendation from research advisors (for master programs) and/or educational organizations in the Russian or English language (if available);
– copy of the first page of the passport with which the foreign citizen will cross the Russian Federation border (a clearly readable page containing all the personal data).
3.2. The second stage is processing of applications by the Department for participation in the competition. Verification of applications for compliance with the form and set requirements, taking decisions to admit to participation, transfer of a set of documents and the list of participants to the Organizing Committee.
3.3. The third stage is the selection of the winners in the framework of the organization and holding of a reception campaign to recruit foreign students for studying at RUDN.
Members of the Organizing Committee are evaluating applications for the purpose of allocating “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship basing on a 100-point scale as per the following criteria:
Results of participation in the Olympiad
Status of the applicant on the basis of the results of participation in the Open Olympiad of RUDN for foreign citizens
|Number of points|
|Number of points|
|Academic statement / diploma / certificate (average score)
|5,0 – 25 points
4,5-4,9 – 20 points
4,0-4,4 – 15 points
|Publications / participation in conferences / scientific achievements||
|Achievements in educational and public activities, certificates of achievements, diplomas, etc.
|Language Certificate Russian language English language||А1
Motivation letter (5 points)
Letter of recommendation (10 points)
The maximum total score is 100:
– results of participation in the Open Olympiad of RUDN for foreign citizens – maximum 50
– academic progress – maximum 35
– motivation letter – 5
– letter of recommendation – 10
3.4. On the basis of the evaluation done by the members of the Organizing Committee, the results of the contest are summarized and a rating list of the contest participants is formed. The decision of the committee is made out in a protocol.
In case of an equal number of candidates’ points on the rating list, the decision is made by the Organizing Committee individually for each candidate.
The names of the winners (including the reserve list of applicants) are posted on the University and on the Olympiad websites within 5 working days after the meeting of the Organizing Committee took place.
The winners of the competition must confirm their decision to study in the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia in an arbitrary form and provide the Department with the necessary documents in the electronic form in accordance with the current local regulations of RUDN. The originals of all the necessary documents are provided to the Department upon arrival to receive education.
If a foreign candidate does not confirm his desire to study in the Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia and does not provide additional documents, the Organizing Committee will adjust the list of the winners taking into account the rating list. The protocol with an updated list of winners will be posted on the University and the Olympiad websites.
The Organizing Committee presents the protocol with a surname list of winners to the Department.
The Department prepares draft orders on allocation of “RUDN brilliant students” scholarships to the winners upon their enrollment in RUDN as students (listeners) in accordance with the procedure established in RUDN. The purpose of the scholarship is formalized by the order of the rector of RUDN.
In case of wrongly submitted information/documents, the decision to grant the scholarship is canceled.
- Basis for termination of payment of “RUDN brilliant students” scholarship for foreign students (listeners).
“RUDN brilliant students” scholarship for foreign students (listeners) is discontinued in the following cases:
– expulsion from the University for any reason provided by the laws of the Russian Federation and local regulations of the University;
– student’s grading according to the results of the interim attestation is “unsatisfactory”, “satisfactory”.
The termination of the scholarship payment is formalized by the order of the rector and the decision of the Organizing Committee.
- Final provisions.
In order to control the payment of scholarships to students (listeners) the heads of the main educational units (MEU) present in the fixed time the data on the current students’ (listeners’) progress upon request of the structural subdivisions subordinating to the pro-rector for international activities.
If funds are available, the Organizing Committee may decide to extend the time period of the scholarship payment. In accordance with this Regulation applicants are considered recipients of the scholarship if they do not have academic debts and “satisfactory” grades following the results of the session preceding the new period of the scholarship allocation.